Bride Rovers v Carrig 2013


County Senior Hurling Championship, June 2nd 2013

Carrigtwohill 0-19 Bride Rovers 1-13

Report by Brendan Larkin (Irish Examiner)

CARRIGTWOHILL survived a tremendous fight back by Bride Rovers at Ballynoe last night before advancing to round three of the county senior hurling championship.

It all looked to be going to plan for the 2010 champions when they led by eight points at half time and were still six to the good at the three quarter stage, but were forced to live on their nerves for the remaining minutes of an epic contest as the Rovers threw caution to the wind and pinned Carrig in their own half for most of the last quarter.
Only the bravery of Noel Furlong who had come back on after going off injured, saved a certain last minute goal, which would have sent the game into extra time.

On a glorious night for hurling, a huge crowd packed into the venue expecting a keenly contested game and they weren't disappointed. Derby games seldom live up to expectation but this one did.
The hurling was fast and furious, the tackles hard and fair and in the end it was Carrig's greater hurling skill which won out. Their first touch was delightful to see; their point scoring from play in particular was magnificent and they clearly have their sights firmly set on regaining their title.

The opening half belonged almost entirely to Carrig. Their forwards were razor sharp particularly Daniel O'Mahony and Robert White. Defensively they were equally as good with Pat O'Sullivan and Padraic Hogan and Ronan Power giving nothing away.

Bride Rovers were as huge disappointment particularly in the first half and never got into the game. It took them 15 minutes to register their first score and they were in real danger of being completely overrun by a very eager Carrig side.

A glorious 10 minutes up to half time saw Carrig rattle over six points in a row to go in at the break leading 0-12 to 0-4 and the die looked well and truly cast for the Rathcormac side.

Despite losing two defenders to injury early in the second half Carrig continued to dictate the play and only the accuracy of Barry Johnson from frees and play kept the Rovers in with a chance.

They were badly in need of a goal if they were to have any chance and it finally came in the 45th minute when midfielder Michael Kearney soloed 40 metres before billowing the Carrig net.

It was a score to inspire and how his colleagues rose superb to the challenge. With Barry Johnson continuing to knock over the points, the Rovers had the deficit down to three, but in a hectic last five minutes and despite the Rathcormac side throwing everything at their opponents, Carrig held firm for a victory they deserved if only for their first half display.

Scorers - Carrigtwohill: D. O'Mahony, P. Hogan (0-3 frees), M. Fitzgerald (0-2 free) 0-4 each; S. Dineen 0-3; R. White, N. McCarthy 0-2 each.
Bride Rovers: B. Johnson 0-10 (0-6 frees); M. Kearney 1-0; J. Pratt, D. Dooley, C. O'Connor 0-1 each.

CARRIGTWOHILL: W. McCarthy; P. O'Sullivan, A. Garde, R. Power' P. Hogan, N. Furlong, M. O'Riordan; C. O'Connell, L. O'Sullivan; S. Dineen, D. O'Mahony, J. Barrett; T. Hogan, M. Fitzgerald, R. White.
Subs: K.. McCarthy for Furlong (half time); N. McCarthy for P. O'Sullivan (40); S. Forbes for C. O'Connell (55); N. Furlong for T. Hogan (58).

BRIDE ROVERS: D. Fitzgerald; A. Collins, B. Walsh, S. Kearney; B. Murphy, B. Murphy, P. Walsh; J. Pratt, M. Kearney; S. Ryan, B. O'Driscoll, T. Broderick; P. Murphy, D. Dooley, B. Johnson.
Subs: C. O'Connor for Broderick (27); J. Mannix for B. O'Driscoll (50); J. O'Driscoll for P. Murphy (58).

Referee, C. Lyons (Nemo Rangers).


Club Shop